Life is crazy. There is no doubt about it.
We are packing up our meager possessions and our kids and moving to Dallas. In like 12 days.
A bit random, right?? So I'll let you in a little fact: you can transfer law schools after your first year (and you can do it after your second year too - but you go as a "visiting student" and your degree will be from the school you spend the first 2 years) So, we are transferring to SMU, Southern Methodist Univeristy - in good ole' Dallas Texas.
Back to transferring - this is something that I didn't know you could do - until Greg started tossing around the idea of applying to other schools back in the winter. Other than being so far away from lots of family members - I was totally content to stay here. I had it in my head that we would just power through 3 years of school, and I would get to enjoy living near my parents. Then, when we were done, we'd pack up and head back west.
It's not as easy as that...
With the economy being as it is, it's really hard for anyone to get a good job. Lawyers especially. There isn't a great market out here in FL, unless you head out to Miami or Tampa. While we really like Ave Maria, it's still so new - and very low on the law school rankings totem poll. Which is kind of a big deal for many employers. Greg had some awesome experiences with Ave this year and had an amazing internship opportunity. But, he felt like he should apply to other schools. He did, we got a yes from one - but didn't feel great about it after the fact, and a no from another.
Well, until Friday evening - we figured that SMU was going to say no - and I put the whole idea of transferring out of my head. Friday evening, just an hour before we were going to go on a date (celebrating the big 3-0 for Greg) - Greg checked his voice mail. He got a call from SMU saying "Congrats! You've been accepted! And you have to let us know by Tuesday if you're coming!"
Say WHAT?!? It put a little bit of a damper on the date night. Our carefree evening was filled with some serious discussion about our options. Some happy birthday present, right? Here you go - time to make a life-changing decision.
Staying would be the easy thing to do. Honestly, the thing I would have preferred. I mean - uproot our family again? Take them to the middle of the country? Both sets of grandparents so far away... I was at a loss. And I was (am) an emotional train wreck. I love love love being close to my parents. I love all our friends here at this school. I love so many things about it. It seriously breaks my heart to leave behind what we have here.
But ulitmately, we made the harder decision, to do what is best for our family in the long run. We talked, fasted, and prayed all weekend. Let me tell you something, they aren't kidding when they say trials can make you stronger as a family. I feel so blessed to have the family that I do.
So Sunday evening we officially decided that we would go. We told our families... another hard thing (for me) to do. Today we sent SMU our deposit. Informed Ave that we are leaving. I've already called a moving company. We are looking for places to live. Classes start on Friday August 19th (I have no idea why classes start on a Friday). I had to break the news to some of my on-campus friends (more emotional-ness)...
I feel so blessed to have made the friends that I did. These people are seriously the best.
I will try to keep you guys (or should I say "ya'll"?) posted on the latest. There will be lots of packing this week and the next. Sometime late next week we will drive up to my parents to hang out for a few days - then it's off to Dallas.
Wish us luck.
2 comments:
Good luck! Everyone I've ever talked to who has lived in Texas loves it like it's their job.
Yay for coming to Dallas! We will take care of you and your kiddos for the next few years:)
Post a Comment