Sunday, May 20, 2012

It's all going to be okay

It's all going to be okay.
I keep telling myself this when I feel overwhelmed at the prospect of becoming a family of 5. FIVE. You'd think after 7 months of pregnancy I would have wrapped my head around this fact by now. 
Nope.  
I've been keeping busy the last month, which has been a wonderful distraction from all the things I need to do to get ready for another baby... We visited fam in Utah for two weeks (post with a million pics to follow) and are wrapping up a 2 week visit with my fam in Florida (again, a post with a million pics to follow). Greg is in Austin and starts his internship on Monday... I go back home to play single parent for 6 weeks (minus most weekends, we hope! The plan is for him to come home as much as possible). Once Greg is done, it will just about time for baby #3 to make her debut.  
There a lot of things about this pregnancy that have made it rougher than with Aimee and Jack. I feel like I've spent a lot of the time feeling unhappy about the toll this pregnancy has taken on my body. I feel like people give me weird looks when I'm running errands with the other two kids, especially when they are behaving less than wonderful. 
I had a flight attendant say to me, "Well, I never want to assume..." (Looking at my very obvious pregnant belly) 
Me: "Oh, yeah - I am definitely pregnant"
Flight attendant: "Well, at least get the little one out of diapers first!"
Harty-har-har... dude (and it was a dude) you have no idea...

The lady that waxed my eyebrows had a conversation with me something like this:
She: Oh, you're having a baby! Congrats! 
Me: Thanks!
She: Is this your first?
Me: Oh no, this is number 3.
She: Girrrrrrl! Are you old enough to have 3 kids? How old are the other 2?
Me: The oldest will be 4, and the next turns 2 a  few weeks after this one is born.
She: OMG. So you've like been non-stop pregnant for the last 5 years. 
Me: Uhh... yeah, kind of. 

I hadn't thought of it like that!

Then she went on to say, "That's ok - just get them all out of the way and be done with it."

I've had a couple of people (usually strangers) say that to me. I don't really care for it. I don't feel like having kids is something to get out of the way.  I've been asked/told too, "Well, you're definitely done now. Right? You already have one of each!" 
Maybe! Again, I think it's weird when people say that sort of thing.

So while these types of conversations and my prego-body issues have been in the forefront of my mind AND I'm still kind of in denial that I'm actually having another baby in two months  I came across these old pictures on my mom's laptop. 


Little Jack, just a few hours old.


So tiny


And sweet...





I felt more than ever that even as crazy as life will be, it's all going to be okay.


7 comments:

Marly C said...

People really do say crazy things to pregnant ladies. It's like as soon as you have a baby belly it gives the rest of the world permission to give their opinion of your family. I think it will be so fun for your little ones to be so close:-) You will be a great mom of three!

Kara Shurtliff said...

It will work out : ) That's what is so great about the Gospel. Heavenly Father has a plan for each one of us and things don't always work out the way we had planned, but they do work out-for the better! P.S. I miss you.

Mrs. Olsen said...

Haha. People do say the craziest things! I also get that we must be done now, RIGHT???? It was also hard for me to think of us as a family of three, but I feel like with Bart I've enjoyed it more b/c it's like I realize how quickly he's going to grow up!! Good luck! The hardest things are the ones worth the most. :) (I know that's a lot of help on *those* days...)

stephanie said...

i love little baby jack pictures. Michael still pulls out pictures of Aimee or when Connor does something he says, remember when Aimee did that. haha. You will love having a newborn again!!!! You just don't remember how cute and lovey they are until you see one.

Meg said...

I love you, Emily. And I so feel you! I don't know why people feel so at liberty to comment on babies and kids. But it's amazing how Heavenly Father knows just how to tell us it's going to be okay.

Tiffany&3 said...

You are going to be a fantastic Mom of three adorable kids! Believe me, if I can pull it off, you can definitely do it! Just remember to breathe, take a lot of time to just enjoy it and don't rush right back into routines and trying to do everything on your own. It took me about three months to feel like I was going to be OK. It took about three months before I had to stop counting the kids both before and after I left for the store to make sure no one got left behind! It takes awhile...but you can definitely do it hun! Wish I was there to help out!

liz said...

Ditto to all your thoughts!!! I've got 15 more weeks till we are a fam of 5 and I'm freaking out. I get some pretty interesting looks at the store and park. I don't think it helps that I watch a neighbor kid for a friend so it looks like I have three and am prego with a fourth!!! I'll give you the same advice as my friend from church... You can do it, you are brave good woman!!!