Anyway, we were asked to be there by 8 am. We were actually early, so go us. But then we spent most of the time waiting... and waiting and waiting. Who knew that waiting could be so utterly exhausting??
Greg got to have his leg shaved (the leg-shaver lady was really nice and funny) and an IV put in... and that's pretty much all that happened until around 10. They took Greg back to get a nerve block in his leg and I got to go with him for this part. Then we waited some more. Greg started to doze and I don't know if it was because I was already tired, not to mention pregnant, or a combo of both - but I cried. Yes, and I totally couldn't help it. A nurse came in and brought me a box of tissues and chatted with me for a minute, I think to help me feel better. It wasn't like I was scared that the surgery was going to go wrong or anything...
Anyway, they told me it was time to say goodbye. I gave Greg a kiss and off he went.
Then more waiting.
And waiting.
Greg probably went back into surgery around 10:30. The doctor told me that the surgery should only take about an hour. So after about 2 hours of waiting for them to wheel Greg into the recovery room - I got antsy. I finally asked a nurse what the hold up was. She went to check and it turns out that my husband has a very low tolerance for pain. Either that or the surgery is super painful. Probably both.
They said that he wasn't handling the pain well. They gave him morphine and had to wait to see how he'd react. Apparently that wasn't enough because they gave him 2 percocet (sp?) and had to wait some more. They ended up bringing him back into the recovery room around 1pm anyway. Poor, poor, Greg. He was miserable. And really out of it. I gave him sips of sprite, tried to make his leg comfortable... there isn't a whole lot you can do.
More waiting...
Oh, they gave him a shot of demoral (sp?) too! I thought, there's no way we're going to make it into the house, he's SOOO doped up!
In the midst of all this Greg told me, "Thank you. I love you so much."
And then there was some more tears on my part... I was on a roll.
After chatting with the doctor (who said everything went super well), and filling Greg's prescriptions, we finally got the OK to go home!
When we were all home and settled, I think I cried a little more. I was so exhausted. I don't know the last time I've felt so drained in my life. The day took its toll. Aimee was pretty wiped out too. She didn't nap that day - but that only meant a nice and early bedtime for everyone.
Greg is doing pretty well now. He's had 1 round of physical therapy, which didn't kill him. I was surprised. Everyone had us braced for the worst. He's getting more mobile everyday. Which is a good thing, because it won't be long before it's his turn to take care of me.
Here are some pictures the day after surgery. Aimee was Greg's little buddy. She would cuddle right up next to him. In this one, she put herself down for a nap :)
1 comment:
"ro-bo leg and the pasty white" is more like it! lol jk- hope greg gets better soon!
Post a Comment