What the heck happened? How is this possible?? Nearly every year, for as long as I came remember, birthdays come and go - and I always would say, "I feel the same!"
Not this year though... the thought of the 30s looming ahead has me feeling so... well, old! I know in another 10 years I will look back on this and think "Twenty-nine year old Emily, how crazy you were..." In another 10 years I will probably long for the body/skin I have now, like I long the for body/skin I had when I was 20. (
My birthday yesterday was a very normal "mom" day.
1. Got up
2. Opened presents :) (Ok, so this part was not so normal)
3. Took Aimee to preschool
4. Jack had massive diarrhea (he's been sick for a while and I had been debating whether or not to take him to the doctor. Fever for a week, then diarrhea. But this time his poo was almost black, and really mucus-y. TMI? Sorry... but hey - it's a normal "mom" day)
5. Ran errands with Jack - worried about his poo color/consistency
6. Picked Aimee up - worried about Jack some more
7. Home for lunch
8. Jack had a mega nap - worried some more
9. Worked on some crafty stuff (I have been very busy crafting lately)
10. Jack woke up
11. Kids had snacks
12. Ran one more errand
13. Took Jack to the doctor: No ear infection, no blood in stool! The diagnosis: a nasty virus.
14. 5:30. Dinner time... Yeah, it's a fast-food kind of day.
15. Drove to Panda Express (planned to sit down and eat)
16. Jack had another explosion (no worries, all "normal" looking)
17. Changed Jack on the FLOOR of the bathroom (thanks a lot panda - for not putting a changing table in your restroom. I should have left the mess on the floor... that'd teach 'em!)
18. No spare clothes for little man - got dinner to go
19. Home!
20. Eat!
21. Skype mom and dad
22. Jack to bed - 7:05
23. 7:30 - Jack wakes up, more poo!!
24. 8:00 - Aimee to bed
25. 9:00 - Jack still up. Greg still at school.
26. 10:00...
27. Greg finally home!
28. 10:45 - Jack finally crashes
29. And I finally crash somewhere around 11:30 - midnight.
Happy Birthday to me!
Ok, in all fairness to Greg, we did celebrate my birthday last Friday with a date!! We went out to eat and wandered around the mall - the intention was for me to pick something out for myself. (My idea!) But I was too full to focus... too full to care. I was just happy to be out of the house for a few hours with Greg - and kid-free. AND I failed to mention in my list, that I did get lots of thoughtful birthday calls/texts through out the day.
I was never one to make a list of "things to do before I'm 30" - but I had a general idea. I figured I'd have at least 3 kids (two is GOOD, plenty, more-than-enough for now!). Thought I'd be in a house for sure... Definitely didn't picture that a graduate school and a shoe-box apartment would be involved! And oh-so broke... did not imagine being so broke.
BUT - I did not (could not) imagine how absolutely blessed I would be too. My husband loves me, tells me so all day. :) My kids are darling and beautiful and FULL of personality and joy. I could not imagine how important all my family would be to me. Parents, grandparents, siblings, in-laws, cousins. I could not imagine how loved we would be and how much love I would have for all of them too.
So here's to the first of many 29th birthdays. Because while my body, the lines on my face, bags under my eyes, and stray gray hair may tell me otherwise, I think I will refuse to be anything other than a twenty-something inside.
Happy Birthday to me :)
3 comments:
As crazy and typical of a "mom" day as it sounds, I am glad you had a good birthday!! I still remember when we were yay-big and I was SUPER excited to go to "emily and stevie's house!". Crazy to think we met 20+ years ago -- wishing you a very, very blessed year! I turn 29 in a mere 8-9 weeks, so you will not be alone :)
Happy Birthday to you! Sorry we missed it. You're looking better and skinnier all the time. We can't start saying 29 is old - besides, I'm already 30 and don't even have one baby...and have to color my hair because of all the grays.
Happy belated birthday to my good old roommate buddy! I know how you feel about no matter how old you get you will always feel twenty something inside. 30 is not so bad though. I liked the idea of saying "30, flirty, and thriving". You look great by the way, for being so old :o) And your kiddos are gorgeous! It was fun to drop in on your blog. It's been a long time, I'm still terrible at blogging. Anyway hope to catch up with you soon!
Post a Comment