Friday, October 10, 2008

Labor of Love


Wow. I just finished a whole post when I lost the internet connection. I posted all these pictures and everything. I really don't want to do it all over again.

So here is the condensed version:

Jen, thanks for suggesting bakerella.com. That lady has some super cute stuff. I opted to try and make those cake pop things. Also, Lynne, I think you made a version of these for Laura's baby shower (I wasn't there, but Roxanne saved some for me and they were super tasty).

Here's the jist of how you make them:
Bake a cake, then destroy it
Mix the destroyed cake with some frosting
Roll that stuff up into balls, roll the balls into "logs" (this part was super sticky) 
Squish the logs into a flower shaped cookie cutter (make it look like a cupcake - not an easy task, they just look like turds - I was pretty discouraged at this point)
Dip the "cupcake" into some melted chocolate, then stick it on a lollipop stick (again, very messy)
Dip again in some more chocolate (this part was a little easier)
Decorate (the fun part)

The end result was super cute, and I think they went for around $50 at the ward auction. But let me just tell you - they took FOREVER! The looked so bad initially. They were sticky and when I dipped the "cupcakes" in the melted chocolate, sometimes I couldn't get them out. I got a lot of chocolate all over myself - and ate a lot of it too. Also, I overheated the first batch of chocolate I melted and totally ruined it. I had to run to the store to get more... lots of things seemed to go wrong with the process. BUT, like I said, they turned out pretty cute in the end. 

6 comments:

Rebecca said...

Those are WAY cute! But they do sound like a lot of work - they seem like something I would buy for $50.00 rather than make :o)

Nicole said...

Yours turned out so cute! Those were SO delicious! I am craving one right now. I put one in my diaper bag at Laura's shower and found it 8 days later at church (all smooshed) and fought Savannah for it. We split it in the end. it still tasted good!!

Lynne said...

I know, those took FOREVER to make, but they were too cute to pass up. I did a practice batch before the shower, so I was able to fix a lot of the problems I ran into. The ones I did for the shower turned out pretty good, and the process went a lot smoother. The biggest tip I can give is to stick them in the freezer as you go along (i.e., after you roll them into balls, freeze them, then after you shape them into cupcakes, freeze them while you're melting the chocolate). It makes it so much easier to handle them as your rolling and dipping.

Sorry for the marathon comment :)

Laura and David said...

so cute emily. between your cooking and sewing, you are becoming so amazingly domestic! hey, can you post my email address on hillary and britton's blog so they can invite me onto it? laura.brassfield@yahoo.com thanks!

Laura and David said...

I have been waitin and waiting for new pictures of my Utah niece!! Get on that, we miss her cute face!

Laura and David said...

a lady in my ward took her pictures. i can't tell her eye color, they look so blue in some, green in others, and gray in a couple. i think we're going to have to wait a while longer to find out the final color.